City of Highland, Illinois Flags
City of Highland Flag
The official flag of the City of Highland has changed over the years. The current flag pays homage to Highlands Swiss heritage and the “sister city” relationship it maintains with Sursee, Switzerland, the birthplace of its founder. The two shields, one U.S. and one Swiss, side-by-side, interconnected, beam brightly on a white background. The Cities of Highland and Sursee have been sister-cities since 1976 when Highland celebrated its sesquicentennial (150 year anniversary).
About the City of Highland, Illinois
The first settlers arrived in the area in 1831 and founded the City of Highland in 1837. In 2012 Highland celebrated its 175th Jubilee. Just 30 minutes from St. Louis, Highland combines a small town atmosphere with a high quality of life. Attractions include the Louis Latzer Homestead which was home to the founder of “PET Milk”; Kaeser Park and Museum; and the Erwin Weder Museum. Highland is situated on the historic National Trail which runs through the area from Vandalia to St. Louis and is the location of several annual festivals, including the Schweizerfest, the Street Art Fest, the Kirchenfest, and Art in the Park.